Oct 22, 2022
What Happens When a Scammer
Has Your Email Address?
Prevention - Signs You're Hacked - Recovery
While your email address might
not seem that valuable, scammers can extract a lot of information
that they can use against you. Below are some things they can do
with your email address information:
- Scammers Can Impersonate You
- Send Phishing Emails
- Scammers Can Access Your Online
How to Protect Your Email
Address from Scammers?
- Using Robust Passwords
- Set Up Multi-Factor Authentication
- Update Your Device’s Security
- Enable Dark Web Monitoring
Signs Your Email Account Has
- You can’t log in to your account
- Strange messages pop up on your social media
- Your family members or friends are receiving
emails you didn’t send
- Your sent-message folder contains spammy
messages you don’t remember writing
How to Help Recover Your Email
Account from a Scammer
- If you can still access your account, change
your login credentials immediately
- Inform your friends and family members about
the hack so they don’t fall for the scams sent by the
- Contact your banks and credit providers if you
have sensitive financial information in your inbox. They can help
prevent unauthorized access to your account.
- Seek the help of an identity and credit
monitoring service like IdentityIQ to help protect you. This
service can provide real-time fraud and Social Security number
alerts, the dark web and internet monitoring, and even identity
theft insurance. Plus, protection plans are affordable.
- If you’re completely locked out of your
account, contact your email provider for advice on how to recover
and protect your account.