Jun 22, 2015
Advancements in Grid Security such as sending out much more
precise data, keeps the consumers safe with up to date analytics.
Could this be the best solution? This and more to be discussed:
- Protecting the grid is a critical component of the security and
safety challenge in the energy sector but there are other critical
elements to include the oil and gas operating infrastructure and
supply chain. Ensuring reliability and continuity are as critical
for the power grid as they are for the entire energy value
- The ideal solution for industry is to be able to address
security, safety, environmental protection and operational
continuity as effectively as possible, without having to balance
competing commitments to each.
- Sensor driven data analytics can remove some of the resource
competition between priorities in operations. Data analytics
play an important role in supporting safer operating infrastructure
and addressing vulnerabilities.
- There is a significant operational and business value in
integrating new real time intelligent sensor platforms with
existing industrial control systems, such as SCADA, so operators
can optimize response options to mitigate adverse process, security
or safety events.
- A critical challenge to address when deploying new sensor
technologies is to ensure they have been hardened from an
information security perspective so they do not introduce new
vulnerabilities to the industrial control systems.
- A key trend we are part of is generating real-time data
analytics at the network edge, a blend of intelligent algorithms
and optimized systems architecture to enable real time decision
- The energy sector will see benefits from advances in data
analytics that elevate the optimizing role of risk metrics from
planning models to real time operations. For major infrastructure
especially, this will increase capital efficiency and promote
additional investment in improved, safer and more secure
To get background on Matt, and to find out even more, go to